Saturday, March 19, 2011

Brendon's 2nd Round and My failure

Last night, Brendon and I were watching Kitchen Boss. {We DVR'ed every episode and have been slowly watching and cooking his recipes} It was episode 11, entitled Stuffed Stuff. Buddy made Arancini alla Buddy, Stuffed Artichokes, and Stuffed Peppers.  As we watched, it made me laugh to listen to Brendon's comments. You see, Brendon decided to make the stuffed peppers before watching this particular episode. He got the recipe off The Kitchen Boss Blog and ran with it. 

As he watched, I heard him say things like, 

That's not on the recipe!

Oops-- musta missed that step....

I use way more sauce than that! Maybe that's why I ran out?

and (my favorite) 

Oh, he stuffed them over the bowl.  That makes sense---I had rice everywhere! 

It's funny what a difference it makes to watch the show and then cook.  I still think his dinner turned out amazing and it was much better than the old stuffed peppers recipe that we were using. 

Here's a picture of his creation.


Now, for dessert~ Baked Apples!  It's a recipe that Brendon made up and I love them. We bought 4 different types of apples to test which flavor we liked the best. He liked them all (Fuji, Red Delicious, Braeburn, and Honey Crisp) but I preferred the sweet flavor of the Braeburn apples the best.

 He even told me I could share his secret recipe.... so here you go! 

Baked Apples

Ingredients
4 large baking apples (suggest Braeburn) - 
4 Teaspoons butter 
4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg 
7 tablespoons brown sugar - 
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and divided - 
1 cup water - 
1 cup Apple Juice 
2 teaspoon vanilla 
 
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Combine cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
Core apples, making sure not to puncture the bottom of the apples so that the juices will remain. 
Remove skin from 1/2-inch around top of apples at the opening. 
Fill each cavity with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. 
Top each apple with a teaspoon of butter. 
Place apples in casserole dish and pour apple juice and vanilla around them. 
Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. 
Remove from heat, and serve! 



So, Brendon's 2nd round of the cooking challenge was a success. Mine, on the other hand, was not so good. I made a pasta dish that looked beautiful, but it tasted like rosemary and bacon--eww!  We ate it, but only because there weren't any other options other than going hungry. 

Live and learn or better yet Cook and Learn!  





No comments:

Post a Comment