Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Blackout Curtains

Our house has a great shaded backyard --- well, shaded in the afternoon.


  During the morning hours, the sun is beating down on us! 
The house came with vertical blinds which I hated took down immediately.  I bought these canvas curtain panels from Target and they looked great, BUT... they didn't block the sun! 


I turned to blogland for DIY tips on turning store-bought curtains into blackout shades.  The best tutorial I found was at Make it & Love it.  I followed her instructions and bought this blackout material at JoAnn's for $3.50 a yard! 

... and may I just take a moment to point out that my new JoAnn's store is HUGE!!!! Yes, I took a picture of it and I had plenty of time to wander around looking at the fabrics while I was waiting for my number to be called to get the fabric cut... 


Back at home with my roll of blackout drapery lining, the real fun began! 

I tried to cut corners and just sew the lining to the top of the panel, but it looked horrible. I knew it would take a long time, but would be worth it to rip out all the seams and sew the lining down properly.  The end result took a few more hours, but was SO worth it! 







No comments:

Post a Comment